Original name : マクロスVF-X2 特別体験版
Tokyo Snack organized a lottery in 1999 from April 16 to June 30. You had to send back 3 barcodes from popcorn bags to get in:
- 1000 people won a copy along with 4 postcards given as a compensation for delivery delay;
- 1000 "losers" got a special strap as consolation prizes.
The most obvious change is that the player has only the use of the VF-5000B Star Mirage which was not featured in the regular version. It was initially planned as a replacement for the VF-1X Plus in the now cancelled US version. Many of the features in VF-X2 Special Version were destined to end up in the US version.
Game modes :
- Score Attack mode: it is a space based game in which the player has a limited time in which to destroy a set number of enemies (unlimited gunpod ammo and normal missiles, but only 100 Micro Missiles and 50 Chaff).
- Survival mode: the player is flying above the landscape used in mission two of regular VF-X2. The aim is to kill as many of the enemies before being killed yourself. To help you do this, you are given an unlimited amount of gunpod ammo and normal missiles as well as 999 Micro-Missiles and 99 Chaff.
Survival mode is split into rounds. During each round you will be attacked by about 12 to 18 enemies, although thankfully not all at once! The enemies usually attack in waves of between 1 to 3 craft. The final enemy of each round is always the Annabella Lasiodora Mobile Weapon from mission number 10 of the standard VF-X2.
- Itano Circus mode: another space based game in which the player must dodge or shoot down wave after wave of missiles fired from an unseen drone which cannot be approached or destroyed. The aim of this game is just to survive for as long as possible.
In Itano Circus mode, the player is only equipped with a gunpod. Also the number of missiles fired at the player gradually increases the longer you survive. This does lead to some impressive visuals after about ten minutes of play as the screen is literally filled with missiles.
(source and more details on macrossworld website)